Lost from the School /Early years
In the unlikely event of a child being lost the following procedure should be followed.
- A member of staff noticing a child missing from the group should search carefully all the areas used by that group since the child was last seen to eliminate misunderstanding.
- Staff should ring the office for a senior member of staff to organise a search of the rest of the building and outside area.
- If the child is not found, Headteacher and the child’s parents should be alerted.
- Security can be given a description of the child and photo if available.
- Information can be sought from other children in the group according to age.
- A member of staff may be detailed to search outside the building if there is any information to suggest the child’s possible whereabouts or direction of travel.
- Headteacher/Manager, Parents and Senior staff will liaise re calling Police.
- If the child is not found after 15 minutes the police will be called.
Lost on an outing
If a child is lost on an outing the member of staff noticing the child missing should alert other members of the party and carry out a numbers check.
- A member of staff or the whole group if appropriate should retrace their movements to the last place that the child was seen.
- Another member of staff should alert the management of the organisation being visited and the School to let them know the situation.
- Children on the visit should be asked for any relevant information if appropriate.
- If the child is not found straight away the School will alert the parents.
- If the child is not found after 15 minutes the police will be called
Measures in place to ensure a child does not go missing
- Information to Parents and staff about challenging unknown persons on the premises and at the door
- Password system
- Bell entrance and reception
- Supervision of children at all times
- Sufficient staff to maintain ratios with back up plan
- Collection policy for children
- Trips which are to places out of the local area should be properly researched. To include: venue – facilities, suitability for age, access, cost, special clothing requirements, eating facilities,transport
Rena Begum 07/09/2011